Being an early riser has its benefits, but it isn’t for everyone. Some people just cannot face the prospect of being up before the sun. Late owls will be late owls, so make the most of it. After all, everyone has an equal number of hours in the day. It’s how you use them that matters.
1. Set aside an hour of no-gadget time before bed. The radiations from cellphones and laptops mess with sleep cycles and make it difficult to go to bed.
2. Work when you are at your most active. You don’t have to follow early birds’ example of working during the day. If the night-time is when you feel alive, do your work then.
3. Don’t oversleep. Late doesn’t mean lazy. Get the same amount of sleep early birds do, just at a different time.
4. Make a to-do list of the tasks you have to accomplish. This will keep you from getting distracted and dozing off, which is very easy when everyone else is asleep.
5. The night time is the right time for creativity. Get your creative kicks at night!
6. Sleep consistency is the key, though. Don’t have an erratic and random sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday.
7. Don’t work right before sleeping. Finish your jobs for the day, and give yourself an hour of rest and relaxation before bed.
8. Keep snacks handy. You are likely to get hungry staying up late, and keeping something handy will save on time, and stop you prowling around looking for food.
9. Get your required eight hours of sleep. Everyone needs a certain amount of undisturbed sleep. Make sure you are getting yours, early bird or night owl.
10. Banish distractions and disturbances.One of the drawbacks to sleeping in is that people will disturb you, make noises and not let you sleep in peace. Make sure this doesn’t happen, otherwise you defeat the purpose of being a productive night owl.
11. Take advantage of distraction free evenings. When everyone else is asleep or in bed, it is much easier to get work done.
13. Avoid caffeine at night. It makes it harder to get to sleep. If you have to stay up with the aid of caffeine, you’re not really a late sleeper, and should get to sleep.
14. Conceptualize late night video conferencing and brain storming sessions if the rest of your team also consists of night owls.
15. Get out of bed. Being a late riser doesn’t mean you do all your work in bed. When you’re working, use your table and when you’re sleeping, use your bed.